Monday, November 27, 2006

OZ

All right, remember I told you I checked the little shovel in on our flight to Sydney? I had to check it as an oversize item and when I got to Sydney, it didn't come out on the baggage belt thing. Anyway, I got it back after asking at the desk. All the airport guys were playing with it, one guy was digging, another was hitting himself on the head with it (fake), etc...

We stayed at the Big Hostel in Sydney. It's a great location, right near the CBD (central business district.) The beds were awesome too, nice and firm.











They were having a 3 days weekend when we got in. We walked to Darling Harbor and joined the Latin Festival. On the way back, we found China town and the food court. 8)
It was around Moon Festival so they had Lion dancers out.














The next day we went to Hyde Park, a big park in the middle of town. They were having an art festival - 'a day in Sydney' or something like that. After that we went to St. Mary Cathedral, Sydney art gallery, Sydney Domain, and finally arrived at the Harbor to see the famous Opera house.











The opera house and the Harbor bridge.











Someone burned his/her dinner and set off the fire alarm. We had to evacuate, the fire truck came.. There were a bunch of kids, around 25, at the Hostel for 2 nights, man they were noisy. Here they are checking out. Oh yeah, we had our own bathroom here, nice...












This is Bondi beach, pronounce Bon Dye. There were a bunch of surfers here. Aunt Kess lived here a little bit when she first came to Australia as a student.












Took the Ferry to Manly Beach. It was much more crowded here for some reason. I liked Bondi better.











Walked up to the Harbor Bridge. We didn't pay the $150 bucks, dad said they should put in an elevator if they are going to charge that much.. 8)
The area behind the bridge in the pictuer is call the Rock, it has a European feel to it, small streets, little shops. You can also see the Ferry harbor next to it.












The Blue Mountain is two hours from Sydney by train. It's more like a canyon, we stayed mostly near the top. Everyone jumped in to take a picture with the aboriginy dude. Notice dad is still doing the Mauri tongue thing.



















Aboriginal dude - where are you from?
mom - I'm from Thailand
dude - I heard it's nice there, give me a kiss (really deep voice)
mom - no way.....

picture with another native. 8)












Aunt Kess' house is two blocks from the beach, nice... It was windy and cold while we were there though, one day was warm. We went wine tasting in Yara Yara valley, nice wine. We went to 7 places, I only had one drink with the picnic lunch. 8) Dad was drinking about one bottle a day the whole trip, New Zealand too.











We were going to go camping along the Great Ocean Road, but it was too windy and cold so we went to do more wine tasting instead and then came home.












Joe & Clarisse doing a duet. Clarisse elbowing the piano.












Went to Melbourne Zoo, man those lions were super hairy. Early Birthday party for Joe. 8)






Blue Mountain Panorama

No comments: